Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones, and the Devil Wears Prada

Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Text Break Up

I received this exact text yesterday.

"I can take a hint. I'm out! Take care."

I was shocked to hear my phone beep and be greeted with this defiant message. Instantly offended I became angry that he would not even bother to call. Then I thought, wait....

Were we EVEN dating?

We met online through E Harmony and met over lunch at Jason's Deli. We had chatted on the phone several times from there and then he Facebook friended me. Soon after we grabbed a beer at a bar. We laughed and talked late into the night. Afterwards he walked me to my car and gave me a peck good night.

Then he called a few days after...and well, maybe that's where I became "The Asshole". I didn't return his phone call. I forgot. I was busy with work, art, starting up my business...yadda, yadda. Blah. Blah. You know the usual excuse drill.

Then I get this text. Is he being over dramatic or am I truly "The Asshole" for not returning his call. One ball dropped and I'm out-or he is.

I've been out of the dating scene for awhile and I was told by a bunch of twenty-somethings at a "Glitter Toe" party (a bunch of women get together and paint their toes) that I was indeed "The Asshole" for not immediately returning his call. In this day and age we have all these time frames to answer face book comments, calls, e-mails, and texts. I can't keep up!

I guess if one missed call means I'm out of this non-relationship, so be it. I just drove myself down to Starbucks for an iced-chai and now everything is right as rain.

2 comments:

  1. If he wasn't interesting enough to be kept top of mind...then clearly you weren't interested enough to see him again. I think his message proved he was, "The Asshole."

    ReplyDelete