Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones, and the Devil Wears Prada

Monday, February 7, 2011

Grandma's Curves

Nothing puts me in a better mood then spending time with my grandma. She's a great example of being a good person. Through out the years she has never forgotten my birthday and has always brought me a treat whenever I was having one of my two million mini-meltdowns this past year. She rarely gets angry-actually never.


She is always a lady.

Before leaving the house, her hair has to be fluffed and she has to be dressed appropriately.

When I was visiting her down in Southern Utah, I had mini-meltdown 2,312,001. I think it was over my cousin having a fabulous boyfriend (other people's happiness makes me very unhappy). I heard myself whine, "Why not me?"

Grandma tried lifting my spirits with chocolate, but it didn't work. So she stepped it up, demanding, in Grandma's subtle way, that I should go work out with her.

What? Work out?

Grandma quickly fluffed her hair, put on a lace-collared shirt, black nylon slacks, and pink sneakers.

I was surprised that a "lady" would exercise. And I was surprised again when we pulled up to "Curves", because a "lady" would never exercise in public.
But this was an all women's gym, so it was acceptable.

Grandma was filled with enthusiasm and jazzed to be working out together. I told her I would "spot her" and she looked at me strangely (ladies don't bench press).

The set up is in a circle and you quickly go from one machine to the other, with dancing in between.

The speakers blared "Let's Hear it for the Boys" as grandma quickly darted from one machine to the next, eagerly dancing to the music between sets. She explained it was important to keep her heart rate up.

She quickly stopped when she started to sweat (ladies don't perspire).

Her "cheering up" technique worked. I will never forget my Grandma working the machines in her lace-collared shirt and dancing.


I love my Grandma, the lady that she is.

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite post. Who needs a fabulous boyfriend when you're a fabulous person? Decide that you are enough and the rest will come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Grandma is such a character. I should write more about her. Why not be fabulous with a fabulous (hot) boyfriend. I am enough, I just get freakin' (my word of the month) bored with myself. I'm tired of just hanging out with just me.

    ReplyDelete