Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones, and the Devil Wears Prada

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

All You Can Eat Sushi

“Anyone who accepts a date with a gynecologist gets what they are asking for.” My sister teased just before I took off for my date.

So far I was interested. He was well dressed, offered to pick me up, took me to a nice restaurant -he was an intelligent doctor.
We went to sit down for sushi and he started to argue with the hostess about our table. At first I thought it could be charming, that he wanted the best seat for our date, but after relentlessly grilling the hostess and then loudly complaining to the surrounding tables, I started to feel like it was already time to go.

We ordered a few rolls and started to talk about our schooling. He filled me in on his education and the different clients he sees everyday. Telling me that the worst thing about being a doctor- is hair and bad...well...and I will spare you the details. All while I was ironically eating my “sushi”.

He asked about my background and I told him about my family and education and mentioned that I was divorced. He stopped me there and firmly stated.

“Let’s not talk about past relationships.”

I was getting irritated. I don’t like when a person tells me what I can and cannot discuss. I was polite and kept quite. Continued eating sushi….

Basically: I can narrow the date down to a few sentences.

“If you are good I will give you a free pelvic exam, with the breast exam included.”

“Don’t worry. When you get closer to 38 just come in and I can freeze your eggs.”

And the last but not the least favorite.

“My wife lives in Providence, and I don’t get out much, so I thought we could have some fun. “

I’m still trying to figure out how to end a bad date.

If I had the courage, pick up a glass of water and dump it over his head. But I’m still polite and don’t want to hurt any feelings. So, do you just sit and wait it out only to have it get worse when they try to put the moves on you? Or do I need to be more proactive and be really selective with who I say yes to for a date?

Why is it that when you accept a date a man automatically assumes he’s all set. She said yes, so she must like me, and wants to sleep with me. I thought dating was to see if you liked each other? Not an automatic in.

Oh well, another day another date.

3 comments:

  1. I once got out of a vehicle and began to walk the 52 miles home. I gave in and let him drive me home and then told him to bugger off. He probably did, he certainly thought someone's hand belonged on his crotch. I knew it wasn't mine.

    I would have loved to watch a glass/water/head senario, especially in a nice restaurant where after his public display of arrogance I'm sure you'd have gotten a standing ovation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C,

    I throughly enjoyed this story. Loved how you put it....made me laugh-I still laugh when I read it. I like that you told him to take a flying leap!

    I need some of your "Go to Hell" claus. I'm working on it....

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time a man says he is married after he asked for the date to begin with, you absolutely must dump the water glass or better yet the pitcher in his LAP!

    ReplyDelete