Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones, and the Devil Wears Prada

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Single Woman Needs a Good Home

The ad would read something like this:

Single Woman Needs a Good Home
Special needs: expensive dental work
Needs affection and attention
Long walks in the park

I was at the dentist yesterday and by the end of my visit I wanted to beg any man to take care of me.

I wanted an easy way out.

No more sweating and quickly calculating my checking account to cover the costs.

Sometimes its too damn hard and expensive to be a single gal.

I feel that I now am starting to understand why women have to become "Gold Diggers". They have bills to pay, car repairs, health care, and any other crisis that might blow their way.

I nearly hissed at my dentist as he explained the costs for a cleaning, exam, xrays, and to replace an old filling. Without dental insurance: A cool four hundred dollars.

Sure! I said, as I dug through my pocket and produced a ball of lint. Then I asked if it was possible to buy a do-it-yourself dental book at Barnes and Noble to save on costs.

He smiled and a shallow laugh escaped from his throat.

I tried to calm my quickly beating heart by repeating to myself, "At least I will have my teeth when I am 75".

But it didn't suffice. My panic resumed.

So when short on cash the best way to fight fire is with fire.

I went shopping!

The five dollar shirt made my eyes look extra blue.

A five dollar shirt to forget about a four hundred dollar dental bill.

When all else fails.

Rationalize.

3 comments:

  1. this kind of breaks my heart. i always worry about if i were on my own how i could take care of scarlett and myself. everything adds up so fast.

    no guilt over the blue shirt...sometimes we need the little things to make us feel better.

    everything will work out eventually...maybe you'll a dentist will hit you with his/her car and will fix your teeth for free the rest of your life as payment!

    p.s. don't crack jokes with our dentist. little to no sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a young single mother, I let my teeth go, because you know having no money sucks. My broke depression soother, a bottle of wet and wild nail polish. I'm with you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments! Always great to hear from my friends.

    Cele, I'm amazed with women that raise children on their own and all the sacrifices they make. I whine, and then I'm reminded when I see all my single friends trying to make it with kids...wow.

    ReplyDelete