Julie & Julia, The Lovely Bones, and the Devil Wears Prada

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Graditude

Typing at the computer, the snow frantically starts to blow outside the window. It was the perfect time to stay warm inside and finish my list of "to do's". I intensely stared at the important e-mail I was constructing. The wording had to be just write so it wasn't taken as too harsh or too soft....it had to be just right.


As I concentrated my nephew bust into the room and went to jump on the bed, missing it by two inches and slamming his forehead into the corner of the rocking chair. Howls and screams soon followed. I jumped out of my seat and let out a sigh of relief as I discovered lack of any blood. Just a nice solid bruise. Ouch.


Then I sat down again and started to find where I left off, when my other nephew stood by the window laughing. I looked at what he was holding in his tiny hand and slowly realized he was holding the garage remote. My father was screaming outside in the blizzard for someone to snatch it from my nephew. I had to laugh because every time my father approached the garage door to shelter heavy potted plants inside, my nephew would quickly push the close button.


It only took my father fifteen minutes or so to figure it out and then the jig was up. But my nephew sure enjoyed the torment.


Finding that I could not work with all the distractions, I stopped working. Why was I trying to work? My family was in town and it was a rare chance to spend time with my nephews. How quickly they are growing and changing. Soon they will no longer be interested in spending time with "Auntie Em" and the rest of the family as they reach the age of preteen angst.

I may not have a family of my own one day and so I realize this may be my closest chance to experiencing children.

I look at my siblings' families, and I admit that I am envious. They may scoff at my envy as my sister once again cleans poop off the rug, because her son doesn't seem to enjoy using a toilet.

The rug is more convenient.

They seem happy, secure, and they have each other. One does not realize what a rarity it is to have a "normal" loving family.
I'm grateful for my friends and family.


Relationships and memories are the only things we take with us when we die. It's the most important thing. Be kind to the poeple that care about you. Remember this holiday season to be in the moment and enjoy any precious time with family and friends.


Tomorrow it may all be gone and changed, but we have now. Embrace it.

No comments:

Post a Comment